Global environmental change and geohazards are threatening
resources and environmental predictability that human societies rely on.
The ASE researchers work towards goals such as:
- Better sea level rise risk assessment for the millions of people living in low elevation coastal zones
- Sustainable management of tropical peatlands for fire and haze prevention, and reduced greenhouse gas emissions
- Improved forecasts of the magnitude and character of volcanic and earthquake activity
- Risk assessment of unprecedented weather patterns created by climate change
- Understanding the response of tropical marine and terrestrial
ecosystems to global warming, ocean acidification, deforestation,
biodiversity loss etc.