Young and research-intensive, Nanyang Technological University (NTU Singapore) is ranked 12th globally. It is also placed 1st amongst the world’s best young universities. The Asian School of the Environment (ASE) invites applications for the position of Research Assistant.
The Research Associate/Assistant will join a dynamic, expanding research group that investigates the complex impact that natural hazards have on society (http://resilience-science.org/). In particular, the selected candidate will support a project related to calculating the value of ecosystem services related to flood risk reduction, through modeling the probabilistic impacts of flooding on communities in South-East Asia.
The work will involve writing and properly documenting code for flood risk modeling. The work will also involve extensive communications with collaborators at partner institutions, and assisting in the preparation and coordination of collaborative projects on urban flood risk.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop extensive datasets of flood exposure, using various GIS and crowdsourced survey techniques.
- Compile available fragility curves from literature, open-source data-bases and insurance agencies.
- Assist with planning and coordination of collaborative workshops on flood risk.
- Assist with writing regular internal reports, and external communications.
- Participate and contribute in all project research and management meetings
Knowledge and Experience Requirements:
- BSc in environmental system sciences, or other quantitative related field.
- Understanding and experience with the probabilistic risk analysis framework, particularly for flooding.
- Understanding and experience with programming, preferably applied to earth and environmental systems modeling.
- Experience with statistical programing with R.
- Experience and comfort with opensource GIS tools.
Key Competency Requirements:
- Logical thinking and creative problem solving is essential.
- Ability to examine data and results critically for potential errors and inconsistencies.
- Self-driven, highly motivated, collaborative, with interest to work with other researchers and scientists (team player) to produce high-quality and impactful research.
- Excited to contribute to reducing the vulnerability of communities in South-East Asia and beyond.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a full CV, work samples and names and contact details of two referees, to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Research Assistant – Flood Impact Modeling in the title. Review of applications will begin immediately. Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.