Double Major Programme
You are here
Environmental Earth System Science and Public Policy and Global Affairs
This double major programme is the newest degree to be offered by the Asian School of the Environment. Students admitted to this multidisciplinary course will develop a strong background in quantitative environmental earth systems science and communication, public affairs, and international relations. The joint programme will give students the opportunity to build complementary skills in leadership, group work, and innovative problem-solving, empowering the next generation of public policy makers with the tools required to face the challenges of today’s rapidly changing world.
The combination of Environmental Earth Systems Science (Society and the Earth System specialisation) with Public Policy and Global Affairs is a natural choice from the Asian School of the Environment as the Society and Earth System specialisation already links well with the major in Public Policy and Global Affairs in the School of Social Sciences.
|BSc in Environmental Earth Systems Science and Public Policy and Global Affairs||A-Level||IB||Polytechnic|
|General entry requirements of NTU|
|Interview on a selective basis|
|● H2 Level pass in Mathematics
● H2 Level pass in Physics or Chemistry or Biology or Economics or Computing
● Good grade in General Paper or Knowledge & Inquiry or H1 Level History or English Literature or Geography
|● Mathematics at Higher Level
● Physics or Chemistry or Biology or Economics or Computer Science at Higher Level
● Good grade in English at Standard Level
|● Good GPA in a relevant diploma
● Taken at least one mathematics module
|Programme||Major Requirements (AUs)||General Education Requirements (AUs)||Total (AUs)|
|Core + Prescribed Elective||FYP||GER Core||GER Prescribed Elective||GER Unrestricted Elective|
|Environmental Earth Systems Science1 (EESS) + Public Policy and Global Affairs (PPGA)||57 (EESS)||10||9||3 (GER-PE- BM)||6||142|
Please refer to the file below for the full curriculum listing.
Possible career options:
- Government roles - planning, policy, and management
- Foreign and domestic policy
- Science communications
- Environmental consulting
- Environmental media and journalism
- Academic research
- Non-government organisations
- Graduates from this Double Major program will also have the unique opportunity to choose careers with employers bridging science, business and policy:
- Reinsurance companies, who rely on a balance of earth science data and policy intuition to help assess long-term risk.
- International governance, such as the World Bank, UNESCO and World Food Agency who seek graduates with quantitative knowledge about the science underlying fundamental changes in policy around the world.
- Businesses or corporations that value technical knowledge, creative problem solving and leadership ability when dealing with changing environmental policy and the global move towards improved global sustainability practices.