Young and research-intensive, Nanyang Technological University (NTU Singapore) is ranked 12th globally. It is also placed 1st among the world’s best young universities. The Asian School of the Environment (ASE) invites applications for the position of Research Associate or Research Assistant within Prof. Lallemant’s research group.
The Research Associate/Assistant will join a dynamic, expanding research group that investigates the complex impact that natural hazards have on society (http://resilience-science.org/). In particular, the selected candidate will develop and test applied statistics and machine learning applications in the field of natural hazards and disaster risk analysis.
The work will involve writing applied statistical code (including machine learning) for collecting and analyzing complex data (e.g. satellite remote-sensing, environmental sensors, etc) to better understand and quantify risk from natural hazards of various kinds, as well as better assess post-disaster impacts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceive, design, prototype and implement solutions to collect and analyze complex data on natural hazards and their impacts on society (no prior knowledge of the disaster risk analysis field required).
- Support the testing and implementation of machine learning algorithms and their integration within the risk analysis framework.
- Create and update code documentation, libraries and advise on best data management practices.
- Knowledge and Experience Requirements:
- BSc or MSc. in statistics, computer science, quantitative earth or environmental system sciences, or other quantitative field.
- Strong understanding of applied statistics methods, preferably (but not necessarily) applied to earth and environmental systems modeling.
- Experience with statistical programing with R or Python.
- Experience with creating structured and shareable code packages a plus (e.g. R packages).
- Knowledge of geostatistics a plus.
Key Competency Requirements:
- Logical thinking and creative problem solving is essential.
- Ability to examine data and results critically for potential errors and inconsistencies.
- Self-driven, highly motivated, collaborative, with interest to work with other researchers and scientists (team player) to produce high-quality and impactful research.
- Excited to contribute to reducing the vulnerability of communities in South-East Asia and beyond.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a full CV, work samples and names and contact details of two referees, to email@example.com indicating Research Associate/Assistant – Applied Statistics for Disaster Research in the title.