The Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) and the Asian School of the Environment (ASE) invite applications for a Research Assistant/Associate in Tephrostratigraphy to participate in the reconstruction of the eruptive history of Sumatra (Indonesia) with a particular emphasis on large explosive (caldera-forming) eruptions. This will involve lab work for the subsampling and characterization of peat and lake cores, the sampling and preparation of material for dating, and the retrieval of volcanic ash layers. It may also involve the petrological and geochemical characterization of volcanic material for the correlation of tephra across Sumatra. Preferred commencement date is in January 2019, the position is for 1 year - renewable 1 year, and salary will be commensurate with experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
The candidate will:
- Assist with peat and lake sediment core sub-sampling and characterization, and the collection and preparation of material for dating.
- Contribute to the retrieval of tephra layers (including the cryptic ones).
- Potentially participate in subsequent geochemical characterization.
- Assist with the purchase of consumables and equipment needed for the study.
- Be involved with the mentoring of undergraduate student interns.
- Take part in the various volcanology-related education and outreach activities of the EOS-ASE.
- BSc or MSc degree in Earth Sciences or equivalent.
- Interest in volcanic or environmental studies.
- Experience in using geochemical laboratory facilities or doing lab work in general.
- Self-driven, highly motivated, with interest to work with other researchers and scientists (team player) to produce high-quality research.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a full CV, including academic qualifications, list of publications (if any), and names and contact details of two referees, to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed by Nov 20th, 2018. The position will close when a suitable candidate has been identified.
Address any questions to Dr. Caroline Bouvet de Maisonneuve (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We regret that only successful candidates will be informed.