The Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) and the Asian School of the Environment (ASE) invite applications for a Research Fellow to investigate volcano morphometry and implications regarding volcano eruption histories in Sumatra, Indonesia. This will involve the quantitative analysis of DEMs as well as the reproduction of selected features or processes using analogue experiments. This work will complement an on-going tephrochronology study and the investigation of calderas in Sumatra.
The successful candidate will work in a vibrant scientific department with state-of-the-art labs and a team of international scientists. Candidates with prior experience in volcano morphometry, structural geology, geomorphology, and/or analogue experiments of volcanic edifice construction/destruction processes are desired.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The candidate will morphologically and structurally characterize volcanoes in Sumatra and, if necessary, other regions of interest for comparison.
- In parallel the candidate will conduct analogue experiments of volcanic edifice growth using gelatin (or other analogue material) and analyze the morphometric data provided by photogrammetry.
- The candidate will be expected to publish the scientific outcomes of this research in high quality, peer-reviewed, international scientific journals.
- He or she will have the opportunity to participate in the various volcanology-related education and outreach activities of the EOS-ASE.
- PhD degree in volcanology, structural geology, geomorphology or equivalent.
- Prior experience in the use of DEMs for the morphometric analysis of structural and/or geomorphological data. Experience in analogue modeling is an advantage.
- Mastering of a programming language would be valued (e.g. Python, Matlab…)
- Self-driven, highly motivated, with interest to work with other researchers and scientists (team player) to produce high-quality research.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a full CV, including academic qualifications and publication list in one document to: https://ntu.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/Careers/job/NTU-Main-Campus-Singapore/...
We regret that only successful candidates will be informed.