You are here
- BSc (Hons) (Geology) University of Leeds 1999
- MSc (Geophysical Hazards) University College London 2004
- PhD (Physical Geography) Macquarie University 2009
Susanna Jenkins is a Principal Investigator with the Volcano Group at Earth Observatory Singapore. Her research focusses on volcanic hazard and risk assessment. She studied Geology and Geophysical Hazards in the UK (University of Leeds and University College London, respectively) and received her PhD from Macquarie University in Australia. Susanna held a post-doctoral position in Cambridge and an AXA research fellowship post at the University of Bristol prior to joining NTU.
My research interests lie in volcanic hazard, vulnerability and risk assessment for the purpose of disaster risk reduction. I achieve this through the use of numerical models, field studies and the statistical interrogation of large datasets.
Recent research has focussed on investigating techniques and frameworks for probabilistic hazard and risk assessment. This includes the development of large-scale multi-source ash dispersal models that calculate the total ash hazard at a site, rather than from a volcano (used for the 2015 UN-ISDR Global Assessment Report), and the quantification of likely hazards and physical impacts arising from volcanic eruptions, through pre- and post-eruption field studies and numerical modelling.
- Jenkins, S.F., Komorowski, J.-C., Baxter, P.J., Charbonnier, S.C., Cholik, N., Surono.(2016). The devastating impact of the 2010 eruption of Merapi volcano,, Indonesia. In J. Duarte and W.P. Schellart(Ed), Plate Boundaries and Natural Hazards. Geodynamic SeriesISBN: 9781119053972: American Geophysical Union and Wiley/Blackwell.
- Loughlin, S.C., Brown, S.K., Jenkins, S.F., Sparks, R.S.J. and Vye-Brown, C. (Editors). (2015). Global volcanic hazard and risk. Cambridge University Press [Open Access: www.cambridge.org/volcano].
- Jenkins, S.F., Barsotti, S., Hincks, T.K., Neri, A., Phillips, J.C., Sparks, R.S.J., Sheldrake, T. and Vougioukalakis, G. (2015). Rapid emergency assessment of ash and gas hazard for future eruptions at Santorini Volcano, Greece [Open Access]. Journal of Applied Volcanology, 4(1), 16.
- Jenkins, S.F., Phillips, J.C., Price, R., Feloy, K., Sri Hadmoko, D. and de Bélizal, E. (2015). Developing building damage scales for lahars: Application to Merapi volcano, Indonesia. Bulletin of Volcanology, 77(9), 1-17.
- Jenkins, S.F., Spence, R.J.S., Fonseca, J., Solidum, R.U. and Wilson, T.M. (2014). Volcanic risk assessment: Quantifying physical vulnerability in the built environment. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 276, 105-120.